Best SLIFF Shorts
Cinema St. Louis returns with another offering from the best of the last festival, as part of the Films @ SLIFF.ZACK screening series. The diverse eight-film program features the winners (and one honorable mention) of SLIFF’s juried shorts competition. The winners were selected from the 235 shorts that screened at the 2016 SLIFF. The fest’s narrative and documentary shorts programming is officially sanctioned by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. The program:
- Best Local Short: “Talk Radio” (Jay Kanzler, U.S., 2016, 15 min.) Lou has spent so many years listening to talk radio that he's now wondering whether there is actually any reason to live.
- Best Short Short: “Women’s Christmas Night” (Oonagh Kearney, Ireland, 2016, 6 min., Irish) A radical and highly visual response to Séan Ó'Riordáin's Irish-language poem.
- Best International Short: “Home” (Daniel Mulloy, Kosovo/U.K., 2016, 20 min.) Two thrill-seeking criminals record themselves robbing homes.
- Best Animated Short: “The Itching” (Dianne Bellino, U.S., 2016, 15 min.) A shy wolf tries to connect with a group of hip, party-loving bunnies but finds her body in revolt.
- Best Live-Action Short: “Litterbugs” (Peter Stanley-Ward, U.K., 2016, 15 min.) A young inventor and a pint-sized superhero defeat the town bullies and find an unexpected friendship.
- Best Documentary Short: “The Mute’s House” (Tamar Kay Yousef, Israel/Palestinian Territories, 2015, 32 min., Arabic, English & Hebrew) An 8-year-old Palestinian boy who lives with his deaf mother, navigates between the Jewish and Muslim areas of a city torn apart by hatred and violence.
- Documentary Short Honorable Mention: “The Diver” (Esteban Arrangoiz, Mexico, 2016, 16 min., Spanish) A worker in Mexico City descends into sewage to unclog pipes.
- Best of Fest: “Speechless” (Robin Polak, Germany, 2016, 7 min., German) A little boy lost in a department store bonds with a young mother who finds a way to communicate with him without words.
Jay Kanzler, director of Best Local Short “Talk Radio,” will participate in a post-screening Q&A.